Port Bug Report: Remote access failed / Authentication failed

From: Unprivileged user <nobody>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Port Bug Report: Remote access failed / Authentication failed
Date: 1998-12-22 13:23:52
Lists: pgsql-ports

POSTGRESQL BUG REPORT TEMPLATE

Your name : Andreas Kirchhuebel
Your email address : AKirchhuebel(at)axcent(dot)de

Category : runtime: back-end
Severity : serious

System Configuration
--------------------
Operating System : SUSE-Linux 2.0.33

PostgreSQL version : 6.1

Compiler used : gcc

Hardware:
---------
PentiumII, 64 MB RAM

Versions of other tools:
------------------------

Problem Description:
--------------------
There are two problems:
1. The postmaster (version 6.1) does not accept the -i option. Why? (We use another Postgres Version 6.3 and there it is done well.)
2. Although the pg_hba.conf is set correctly, I get the message: be_recvauth: unrecognized message type:65536
Failed to authenticate client as Postgres user "andreas" using <unknown authentication type>

Test Case:
We have two computers with Linux.
One has got Postgres V6.1 and the other one V6.3.
When I try to access the database on the 6.1-DB with
psql -h hostname dbname
I get the be_recvauth-message.

I cannot start the V6.1 postmaster with the -i option.

Solution:
---------