Re: Postgres slowdown on large tables

From: Petter Reinholdtsen <pere(at)hungry(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: webadm(at)games(dot)no
Subject: Re: Postgres slowdown on large tables
Date: 1998-12-04 18:06:07
Lists: pgsql-general

> I've been testing how fast I am able to insert entries in a simple
> table, and I am shocked how slow postgres gets when the table gets
> large.

Update. I am shocked how slow PostgreSQL is on this test task
compared to MySQL.

> The insert peaks at 43/s with around 20k entries in the tables and
> then quickly moves down to 15/s (100k) and 6/s (200k). Here are the
> test script, the benchmark script and some numbers.
>
> 7697 -> 8072 11s 34 entry/s
> 17227 -> 17701 11s 43 entry/s
> 50427 -> 50824 14s 28 entry/s
> 98831 -> 99033 14s 14 entry/s
> 151528 -> 151645 12s 9 entry/s
> 200084 -> 200165 12s 6 entry/s
> 251277 -> 251341 12s 5 entry/s

Here are the same numbers for MySQL 3.22:

1319 -> 9082 10s 776 entry/s
49373 -> 57582 10s 820 entry/s
97698 -> 105757 10s 805 entry/s
145537 -> 153702 10s 816 entry/s
194328 -> 202484 10s 815 entry/s
243042 -> 251366 11s 756 entry/s
291807 -> 300108 11s 754 entry/s
340564 -> 348895 11s 757 entry/s
389148 -> 397262 10s 811 entry/s
435943 -> 444661 10s 871 entry/s

One partial reason might be that the psql test did not use the
loopback interface, while the last test did. I don't think this could
fully explain the difference.

OBS: This is insert only!
--
##> Petter Reinholdtsen <## | pere(at)td(dot)org(dot)uit(dot)no
O- <SCRIPT Language="Javascript">window.close()</SCRIPT>