Re: [ADMIN] recovering data from pgsql 6.1 installation

From: "Oliver Elphick" <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Andrey V Khavryutchenko <akhavr(at)compchem(dot)kiev(dot)ua>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] recovering data from pgsql 6.1 installation
Date: 1998-12-01 19:10:12
Lists: pgsql-admin
Andrey V Khavryutchenko wrote:
  >Hi!
  >
  >The problem:
  >
  >We've had the pgsql 6.1 installation made by previous admin.  Due
  >instability, I am to upgrade it to the current one.  Having no previous
  >experience with pgsql, I've forgot to dump db :(
  >
  >Now, neither pgsql 6.3, 6.2 or even 6.1 can't read the db.
  >
  >$ psql mailing
  >Connection to database 'mailing' failed.
  >PQexec() -- Request was sent to backend, but backend closed the channel
  >before responding.  This probably means the backend terminated abnormally
  >before or while processing the request.
  >
  >How I can find more verbose error message?  What are the possible ways to
  >recover the data?  Pointers to TFM would be very helpfull.

Look at the man page for postgres.

I suggest you turn on debugging in the backend:
   nohup postmaster -o -e -d 2 >> /var/log/postgres.log 2>&1 &

Look at the end of /var/log/postgres.log immediately after a failure to get
an indication of what happened.

--
Oliver Elphick                                Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
     "Who is like unto thee, O LORD, among the gods? who is

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Gene Selkov Jr.Date: 1998-12-01 20:30:26