Re: [INTERFACES] ORB API

From: Michael Robinson <robinson(at)public(dot)bta(dot)net(dot)cn>
To: avd(at)gcom(dot)ru, scrappy(at)hub(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] ORB API
Date: 1998-11-16 06:04:43
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org> writes:
>	PostgreSQL's preliminary Corba support will be based on mico,
>*mainly* because it is the only one that is 2.2 compliant...the others are
>all stuck at 2.0...or incomplete (orbit)...

You are aware, aren't you, that Mico has no support whatsoever for
interfacing to C code?  If PostgreSQL will base it's preliminary support on
Mico, then all the interface development will have to be done twice: once
in C, and then a C++ wrapper to mediate between PostgreSQL and Mico.

>By starting the development off using mico as a basis, we are implementing a
>2.2 model using a 'generic hook' method such that allowing ppl to use
>ORBit or OMNIorb or any other implementation will be simply a matter of
>modifying one central include file to map between libraries, as
>required...once the others catch up to mico...

I would recommend you look more closely into the role language mappings play
in the CORBA architecture, versus the role played by Inter-Orb bridges.

	-Michael Robinson

pgsql-interfaces by date