Re: [HACKERS] Configure problem, redux (was Re: TCL installation troubles)

From: "Billy G(dot) Allie" <Bill(dot)Allie(at)mug(dot)org>
To: Brook Milligan <brook(at)trillium(dot)NMSU(dot)Edu>
Cc: maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us, taral(at)mail(dot)utexas(dot)edu, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Configure problem, redux (was Re: TCL installation troubles)
Date: 1998-10-29 06:26:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Brook Milligan wrote:
> So you output all defines into a single file, and include that in every
> Makefile. That is interesting.
>
> I guess this isn't too clear. Here is what I am trying to advocate:
>
> configure output -> Makefile.global + config.h substituting as
> appropriate.
>
> all Makefiles include Makefile.global (which includes Makefile.custom
> if it exists? and other things like the shared library Makefile).
>
> one of the included Makefiles has a generic rule for *.sql.in -> *.sql
> that depends on Makefile.global also.
>
> If a directory has *.sql.in it will automatically be converted with
> the correct substitutions; after all, the substitution is the same in
> each case so one rule suffices (even if several variables need
> substituting); note that sed will not substitute for patterns not
> found in individual *.sql.in files even if the general rule says
> otherwise.
>
> Same mechanism for any other general substitutions, if necessary
> (probably not).
>
> Makefiles do not have any sed monsters, just one rule involving sed in
> a generally included Makefile.sed_monsters. :) The individual
> *.sql.in files would be written in exactly the same way as if
> configure was doing the substitution.
>
> All configure information is in one place (Makefile.global and
> config.h). All dependencies do the right thing, even if those are
> changed post-configure.
>
> Cheers,
> Brook

This would seem to work, although we would at least need a rule for *.sh.in ->
*.sh for the mkMakefile.[tcl|tk]defs.sh files needed for TCL/TK support.

I still have a problem with editing files to curcumvent configure. But I
could live with a solution as outlined above. I don't have to edit the
makefiles and if someone else wants to, well they roll the die and take their
chances :-)

--
____ | Billy G. Allie | Domain....: Bill(dot)Allie(at)mug(dot)org
| /| | 7436 Hartwell | Compuserve: 76337,2061
|-/-|----- | Dearborn, MI 48126| MSN.......: B_G_Allie(at)email(dot)msn(dot)com
|/ |LLIE | (313) 582-1540 |