Re: [HACKERS] New INET and CIDR types

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: darcy(at)druid(dot)net (D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain)
Cc: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, paul(at)vix(dot)com
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] New INET and CIDR types
Date: 1998-10-22 02:09:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Thus spake Bruce Momjian
> > > It does work. More importantly we have the catalogues and API nailed
> > > down. There are some effeciencies and fine tuning that could be done
> > > but I think what we have is good enough that documentation is now
> > > more of a priority than code.
> >
> > OK. Yes, you can continue cleaning things up. I just want some
> > regression tests and documentation, and you can then continue, but I
> > hope they changes will not affect the contents of the documentation or
> > regression tests. If you can concentrate on those changes first, then
> > the docs/regression, that would be good.
>
> For sure not the documentation. As for the regression testing, it should
> be final by Friday. Unfortunately I'm having problems. The last sup
> seems to have broken the inet type. I'll try to get you in #PostgreSQL
> and talk about this.

Fixed.

Thomas will do all the markup. Just some info for the docs are needed.
He should provide you with what he needs.

> > > That's done. The only thing is that now you have to manually put
> > > the /32 on input. I'll fix that very soon.
> >
> > Actually, the /32 is not required. It properly displays it if it was
> > supplied, and supresses it if it is not.
>
> In certain cases. I now have the functions from Paul so I should be able
> to get that correct tonight if I can get the type working again.

Great.

> > In fact, it may be supressing the /32 when it should not, like in the
> > CIDR type:
>
> Again, will be fixed when I plug in Paul's functions.
>
> > I would think the CIDR type should preserve the /32.
>
> Internally it does. Paul said it doesn't matter and I assume it is
> his function leaving it off though I haven't checked.

I recommend displaying the /32 for cidr. Paul says it is not required,
but would be 'nice', and I agree.

Sorry to be pressuring, but I want this off the Open Items list before
Marc has a coronary. His head swells badly, and turns all red. :-)