Re: [INTERFACES] New user questions re libpq++

From: "Cary B(dot) O'Brien" <cobrien(at)access(dot)digex(dot)net>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] New user questions re libpq++
Date: 1998-10-20 21:19:07
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Just another viewpoint...

Craig wrote...

> On 18-Oct-98 Phil Romig wrote:
> > I would appreciate some clarification regarding the C++ interface for
> > postgres. I am using postgres-6.3.2. The database lives on a linux box
> > but the applications I am working on need to run under several different
> > flavors of Unix (HPUX, Solaris, Linux).

[snip]

> Based solely on the opinion of others whose opinions have
> proven worth listening to, I'd advise not to bother using ODBC unless
> you're looking for PC compatibility. ODBC has a reputation for requiring
> more CPU and memory than other competing technologies. I've found the
> PostgreSQL TCP-based interface to be pretty handy, but I don't have
> any MSDOS/Windows client, either. You only mentioned flavors of Unix
> OS in your description of your project, so I wouldn't think you'd care
> about Windows apps, either.

It is kind of complex. It does work for Unix systems. I've got
ApplixWare talking to PostgreSQL using an ODBC interface. But I'm
not sure I'd like to write software that uses the ODBC calls.

> If you're looking for something more graphical, there's also a
> Tcl/Tk library for PostgreSQL called "libpgtcl". There's a good example
> of programming in this interface called "pgaccess". While Tcl/Tk is
> interpreted, I've found it often performs as well as compiled Motif
> applications in similar circumstances. I've run pgaccess on various
> Unix systems (Sun, HP, Linux) to access databases on Linux and HP hosts.
> Hooks have been provided in Tcl to allow the use of compiled libraries,
> so if you already have C++ code that you want to use in your new
> application, you might be able to graft them into it through this
> interface.

Another choice would be Perl. I do a *LOT* of Tcl programming, but I still
often recommend Perl for things like this. Why?

1) I think Perl compiles easier on more machines that TCL.

2) The DBI/DBD Perl databse interface is (to as large an extent
possible) database-independent (That's the DBI part). I have
had 0 problems with either the PostgreSQL and Oracle interfaces.

3) Perl also has an RPC based DBD module that lets you access remote
databases without having to buy, say, SQL*NET for Oracle. Of course
the PostgreSQL client side library is free, so in this case the
point is moot.

4) Perl is slightly better accepted by Suits.

Either Perl or TCL may be a good choice, so check them both out.

-- cary