Re: [HACKERS] plpgsql is not ready for prime time

From: "Billy G(dot) Allie" <Bill(dot)Allie(at)mug(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] plpgsql is not ready for prime time
Date: 1998-10-05 05:31:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> ... it does not build on HPUX, nor on any other platform that requires
> specialized switches to build shared libraries.  I recommend the author
> consult the makefile for libpq, and transpose the necessary fooling
> around into plpgsql.  (On HPUX it fails for lack of -fPIC in the compile
> commands for the pl/plpgsql/src subdirectory; there might also be
> problems in the link command, but the compile commands are certainly
> wrong.)

I have made change to configure/configure.in and added a Makefile.in to help
with the problem (I had problems compiling for UnixWare).  I will be testing
[the UnixWare part of] the patches over the new few days.  I will submit the
after I complete prlimiary testing.  I will also mail the patch to anyone else
who would like to test for a specific port.

> We have enough different shared libraries now that it'd be a good idea
> to try to eliminate most of that cruft from the individual module
> makefiles, replacing it with definitions made in the port makefiles.
> But it's a bit too late in the 6.4 beta cycle to try to do that for 6.4,
> I think --- the testing problem looms too large.  Something for next time.

I aggree that the shared library handling needs to be standardized and the
port specific information moved to the port specific Makefile.

> BTW there is also a configuration check that needs to be applied: the
> pl/tcl subdirectory should be built only if a *shared library* version
> of Tcl is available.  I happen to have only a static version of libtcl.a
> installed, which is fine for pgtclsh, but pl/tcl tries to link with it
> and falls over...

Hmmmm.... I don't now autoconf well enough (yet) to handle this change.

--
____       | Billy G. Allie    | Domain....: Bill(dot)Allie(at)mug(dot)org
|  /|      | 7436 Hartwell     | Compuserve: 76337,2061
|-/-|----- | Dearborn, MI 48126| MSN.......: B_G_Allie(at)email(dot)msn(dot)com
|/  |LLIE  | (313) 582-1540    |

Next:From: Billy G. AllieDate: 1998-10-05 05:55:30