Re: [GENERAL] Re: More PostgreSQL stuff

From: Martin Schulze <joey(at)finlandia(dot)Infodrom(dot)North(dot)DE>
To: Richard Lynch <lynch(at)lscorp(dot)com>, Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>, Martin Schulze <joey(at)infodrom(dot)north(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Re: More PostgreSQL stuff
Date: 1998-10-02 17:56:18
Lists: pgsql-general

Richard Lynch wrote:
> At 8:20 AM 10/2/98, Oliver Elphick wrote:
> >Copied to PostgreSQL lists, in the hope of comments from the experts...
> >
> >Martin Schulze wrote:
> > >Is there a way to speed up postgres? I'm converting one of my
> > >major apps from mSQL to PostgreSQL and PostgreSQL is at least three
> > >times slower. That's horrible. With this slowlyness I cannot
> > >install PostgreSQL in the office but only at home.
>
> Also be sure that you have indexed the fields you use most for queries.

I mainly use queries with "WHERE nr = %d" and nr is an index
field.

> And be sure to do a vaccuum after major data insertion/updates.

I haven't done this. *This* was a *very* good idea. First
tries showed that PostgreSQL is only 1/3 slower than the old SQL
database. This is much more acceptable.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Joey

--
A mathematician is a machine for converting coffee into theorems.