Re: [GENERAL] Re: More PostgreSQL stuff

From: Martin Schulze <joey(at)finlandia(dot)Infodrom(dot)North(dot)DE>
To: "Jackson, DeJuan" <djackson(at)cpsgroup(dot)com>, Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>, Martin Schulze <joey(at)infodrom(dot)north(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Re: More PostgreSQL stuff
Date: 1998-10-02 15:39:57
Lists: pgsql-general

Jackson, DeJuan wrote:
> > Martin Schulze wrote:
> > >Hi Oliver!
> > >
> > >I have some more questions wrt. PostgreSQL.
> >
> > Forwarded to PostgreSQL list, since I cannot answer them.
> >
> > > . Why does pg_dump only write some SQL commands in capital letters
> > > but not all? I wonder if that's intentional. Please look at
> > the
> > > following excerpt. I would have expected CHAR, VARCHAR, INSERT
> > > INTO, VALUES etc. to occur in capital letters.
> > >
> > > CREATE TABLE zeitungen (name char(30), typ char(10), ...
> > >
> > > insert into zeitungen values ('Mallorca Immobilien
> > ',...
> CAPS/no-CAPS are just a preference of the coder's of pg_dump. If you
> want you can go through the source of pg_dump and uppercase all the SQL
> and recompile.

Sure, I would do this, but it means work. I might get it included in the
Debian package, but will it be included in the upstream package as well?

> > > . I wonder how one could add or remove columns from existing tables.
> > >
> > > With mSQL this was possible with a trick. You had to dump the
> > > whole table but you could tell the dump program to add dummy fields
> > > or to leave out existing fields. Is there any such possibility
> > > with PostgreSQL?

> You can do a select into a temp table with the added columns, drop the
> old table the rename the temp table to the old name. You'll also have
> to recreate your indexes, triggers, and rules.

I understand. Looks like PostgreSQL is more preconceived than
other databases. I figure out how to do this, though. I you would
have an example laying around I'd be very happy receiving it.

Thanks,

Joey

--
A mathematician is a machine for converting coffee into theorems.