Re: More PostgreSQL stuff

From: "Oliver Elphick" <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Martin Schulze <joey(at)infodrom(dot)north(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: More PostgreSQL stuff
Date: 1998-10-02 07:20:36
Lists: pgsql-general

Copied to PostgreSQL lists, in the hope of comments from the experts...

Martin Schulze wrote:
>Is there a way to speed up postgres? I'm converting one of my
>major apps from mSQL to PostgreSQL and PostgreSQL is at least three
>times slower. That's horrible. With this slowlyness I cannot
>install PostgreSQL in the office but only at home.
>
>So, is there a way to speed it up? I have turned off debugging
>since I hoped that it was the reason for the slowliness but
>apparently it isn't.

It depends what you are doing: every update or insert is a separate
transaction, unless you declare transactions yourself. So use
BEGIN TRANSACTION ... COMMIT ... END TRANSACTION to enclose related
updates and you should get a speed improvement.

If you are loading a lot of items, COPY is much faster than
successive INSERTs.

Consider whether to disable fsync; balance the speed improvement against the
slightly increased risk of corrupting your database in the event of a
system crash.

--
Oliver Elphick Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver