[ Re: [HACKERS] BUG: NOT boolfield kills backend]

From: Christopher Oliver <oliver(at)fritz(dot)traverse(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: techguys(at)traverse(dot)net
Subject: [ Re: [HACKERS] BUG: NOT boolfield kills backend]
Date: 1998-09-18 18:01:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Sferacarta Software <sferac(at)bo(dot)nettuno(dot)it> writes:
> ZV> create table t1 ( b bool );
> ZV> insert into t1 values ( 'T' );
> ZV> select not b from t1;
> Wrong syntax.

Not if he is trying to display the complement of a logical field
rather than restrict a selection.  And regardless, is backend
failure an acceptable out?  How about the following in 6.4beta?

  create table mine (a bool);
  insert into mine values (true);
  select * from mine as t1,mine as t2 where t1.a or not t2.a;

Look folk.  We're falling over on variations of expressions in
both our result attributes and our selection criteria, and smug-
ness won't remove bugs.  A session with gdb showed that at least
in the case of:

  create table t0 (a_id int4 not null, a varchar, a_t1_id int4);
  insert into t0 values (1, 'at0', 0);
  insert into t0 values (2, 'at0', 0);
  create index a_id_t0 on t0 (a_id);
  create index a_t1_id_t0 on t0 (a_t1_id);
  select * from t0 where (a_id = 1 or a_id = 2) and a_t1_id  < 1;

we are dereferencing NULL in the 6.4beta1 query optimizer, and I
suspect the same in my first example.

My I, a humble newcomer, make a suggestion?  Should we place any
legitimate query set we've discovered to cause crashes into our
regression suite?

Christopher Oliver                     Traverse Internet
Systems Coordinator                    223 Grandview Pkwy, Suite 108
oliver(at)traverse(dot)net                    Traverse City, Michigan, 49684
  "What good is a can of worms if you never open it?"  -Bob Arning

pgsql-hackers by date

Next:From: J. Michael RobertsDate: 1998-09-18 19:57:57