Re: [INTERFACES] Re: DELETE FROM TABLE doesn't work (AGAIN)

From: "Gerald Fischer" <pgsql(at)gefi(dot)at>
To: "David Hartwig" <daybee(at)bellatlantic(dot)net>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, "pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Re: DELETE FROM TABLE doesn't work (AGAIN)
Date: 1998-09-07 20:36:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

Hi David!

On Mon, 07 Sep 1998 10:56:21 -0400, David Hartwig wrote:

First of all I want to thank you for your mail.

>> I reinstalled Postgresql with this patch about 10 times in the last 2 days, but without success. :-(
>>
>> I tried now to use the snapshot, and it compiled nearly without problems (in /src/interfaces/ecpg/preproc/preproc.y is a ';' missing on line 1562), but the ODBC-Driver
can't connect to the database. The logfile
>> says:
>> ----------------
>The snapshot is very unstable at this time. 6.4 will not be official until after Oct.1. I would suggest not using it at this time

Well, I gave it a try.

>> ---------
>> And with the snapshot of sept. 6th, it complains about a missing MSysConf-Table. :-(
>> --------
>> conn=71501948, query='declare SQL_CUR71516440 cursor for SELECT Config, nValue FROM MSysConf'
>> ERROR from backend during send_query: 'ERROR: msysconf: Table does not exist.'
>> --------
>
>This is a normal error. MS Access always queries this table. It is not necessary for successful processing.

Typically M$ :-(

>> Please help, because I would need a running system tomorrow :-( (For the moment it will do it without delete, but not for ever).
>>

>It is difficult for me to figure out what your problem is. What we need is a reproducible sequence of events leading up to the crash.

Well, no problem :-) I can reproduce the crash. With or without the ODBC-Driver.

>If you can reproduce the crash through the psql monitor, then we should work with that. No sense in adding an extra layer of complexity by working through the ODBC
driver.

>The same goes for the junkfilter patch. The errors as you describe, do not point to the junkfilter patch. Admittedly, it is possible. See if the problem can be reproduced
without the junkfilter.

Ok, once again.

I've installed postgresql 6.3.2 with all patches from ftp.postgresql.org/pub/patches. It worked great, but I could not use the ODBC-Driver for stuff like order by and group by
(this is the bug where the junkfilter is a workaround, i think).
Therefore I installed the junkfilter, compiled again, and now I was able to order/group over the ODBC-Driver.
At this time I was happy :-), but than I wanted to make a destroyuser and the backend crashed. I thought it was the destroyuser-script, but then I tryed to make a simple
'delete from test;' and this crashed the backend, too :-(.
A few minutes ago we found out that triggers wont work, too.
Ok, I hoped it was another patch that does not like the junkfilter and I tryed to recompile a completly new version (only with the junkfilter applied). The same error occured.
Therefore I started today to give the snapshot a try, but it will not work together with the ODBC-Driver :-(.

Here a capture of psql:
-----
test=> \d test

Table = test
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+
| Field | Type | Length|
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+
| i | int4 | 4 |
| j | int4 | 4 |
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+
test=> select * from test;
i| j
---+---
100|100
(1 row)

test=> delete from test;
PQexec() -- Request was sent to backend, but backend closed the channel before r
esponding.
This probably means the backend terminated abnormally before or while pr
ocessing the request.
test=>
test=> select * from test;
PQexec() -- There is no connection to the backend.
------

I hope you can help me, because the only thing I could try is to get another linux-distribution and try it with eg redhat (at the moment I use SuSE).

Best regards,
Gerald Fischer

PS: Sorry for my bad english...