Re: [HACKERS] Core dump in regression tests.

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: emkxp01(at)mtcc(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk
Cc: szybist(at)boxhill(dot)com, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Core dump in regression tests.
Date: 1998-08-30 23:13:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> > Thomas A. Szybist" <szybist(at)boxhill(dot)com>
> > > Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
> > >
> > > Again, if someone wants to conditionally compile the directories to find
> > > the offending file, I am sure we can get a fix for it.
> > >

> > At first look it seems to be:  backend/catalog/indexing.c.
> > Maybe Keith can confirm?
> >
> > Thanks,
>
> Tom,
>
> I recompiled the latest cvs with -O2 and found that the crash on
> table creation was NOT now failing so I'm a little confused :-(
>
> I'm just updating my cvs, and will do another build and see how
> things go.
>
> If only I had the same failures as before I'd be able to confirm
> your suspicions on indexing.c

I have found a problem in indexing.c.  In CatalogIndexFetchTuple(),
there is a particulary weird do..while loop, and in trying to clean it
up as part of the megapatch, I broke it and thought I had it fixed.

It appears it may still be broken.  The ReleaseBuffer(buffer) call could
happen even if no valid tuple is returned because buffer has a random
value.

I am running a test now, and will post the fix as soon as I am sure it
works.