Re: [HACKERS] Open 6.4 items

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us (Tom Lane)
Cc: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Open 6.4 items
Date: 1998-08-25 03:56:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> writes:
> > With the 6.4 beta just over a week away, here are the open items I see
> > for 6.4. We actually have fewer than usual, so that is a good thing.
>
> I had a few other things on my list:
>
> * make PGconn,PGresult truly opaque to applications (per recent discussion)
> * libpgtcl is missing any way to access PQerrorMessage!?
> * remove writable fields in static PQconninfoOptions for thread safety
> * bring libpq.sgml documentation fully up to speed
>
> (I'm willing to do the above four, but am not promising that the doco
> will get done before Sept 1. I think Thomas indicated that Sept 15
> is OK for docs?)

Sounds good to me.

> * put UNLISTEN in standard backend, fix libpgtcl listen support to use it
>
> I would really like to see this in 6.4, because I need UNLISTEN in my
> applications. Thomas had volunteered to add the needed parser support
> for UNLISTEN (the execution function already exists, it just needs a
> statement that can call it). As far as I've heard he hasn't gotten to
> it yet. I can fix libpgtcl but do not want to touch it unless the
> underlying backend support is there.
>
> * psql: control-c ought to stop lengthy output
> * psql's \z output truncates table names at 16 chars
> * psql and libpgtcl insert unexpected backslashes in output data
>
> I was going to work on these but it's looking like they will not make
> the Sept 1 cut. Anyone else want to do them?

Not really sure anyone else knows those areas. I am surprised by the
psql \z. Of course, if you add the "features" now, you can fix the bugs
during beta.

> > change pg args for platforms that don't support argv changes
> > (setproctitle()?, sendmail hack?)
>
> I'd like to see this in there too, and will work on it if no one else
> does, but I rather doubt I can get to it by Sept 1. Maybe this will
> have to wait for 6.5, or 6.4.1, or something.

Again, can be done later. Will be a problem without the fix.

--
Bruce Momjian | 830 Blythe Avenue
maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us | Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026