More complete indexing for geometric types?

From: Garrett Wollman <wollman(at)khavrinen(dot)lcs(dot)mit(dot)edu>
To: hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: More complete indexing for geometric types?
Date: 1998-08-19 21:17:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

[Please reply to me directly as I only read this list sporadically.]

Has anybody thought about doing the work to fully implement r-trees
for all of the geometric types? In particular, I'd be interested in
being able to index `point's rather than `box'es, and have the
optimizer decide to use the index for queries of the form `coord @
circle(coord2, some-radius)' or `coord @ box(coord2, coord3)'.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman | O Siem / We are all family / O Siem / We're all the same
wollman(at)lcs(dot)mit(dot)edu | O Siem / The fires of freedom