Re: [GENERAL] CREATE TABLE ... CONSTRAINT

From: Dario Besseghini <besseghi(at)Di(dot)Unipi(dot)IT>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] CREATE TABLE ... CONSTRAINT
Date: 1998-08-18 14:12:39
Lists: pgsql-general

> Ciao Dario,
>
> Seems that your syntax (CREATE TABLE test (number int4) CONSTRAINT
> test_number CHECK number > 3;)
> isn't SQL standard.
>
> -----------------------
> There are two kinds of Integrity CONSTRAINTs;
> - the Column constraint:
> CREATE TABLE test ( number int check ( number > 3 ) );
> and
> - the Table constraint:
> CREATE TABLE test ( number int4 CONSTRAINT test_number CHECK (number > 3));
>
> This one has the right syntax and it works.
>
> Best regards,
> Jose' mailto:sferac(at)bo(dot)nettuno(dot)it

Ciao Jose'.

I know that the two forms you mention do work. pg_dump, however, not
I, uses the third form, which doesn't work.

$ pg_dump -t test testdata
\connect - besseghi
CREATE TABLE test (number int4) CONSTRAINT test_number CHECK number > 3;
COPY test FROM stdin;
\.

The point of my post was that I think the postgresql parser should
accept pg_dump's output. Both solutions are legitimate: either pg_dump
or the parser might be changed. In the former case, the docs should
also be changed, because both `\h create table' in psql and `man
create_table' put CONSTRAINT outside the parentheses.

Bye,
Dario