odd pg_dump output?

From: t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp
To: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Cc: t-ishii(at)srapc451(dot)sra(dot)co(dot)jp
Subject: odd pg_dump output?
Date: 1998-08-18 05:01:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I found that current pg_dump command produces wrong output if a table
name includes upper letters (See below).

in bin/pg_dump.c:

sprintf(q, "CREATE TABLE \"%s\" (", fmtId(tblinfo[i].relname));

Here fmtId() returns double quoted results if the table name (or
attribute name, index name...) has upper letters. then sprintf adds
extra double quotations. The result is too much double quotations!

I don't understand why sprintf adds extra quotes (I think 6.3.2
didn't).
Comments?
--
Tatsuo Ishii
t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp

type \? for help on slash commands
type \q to quit
type \g or terminate with semicolon to execute query
You are currently connected to the database: test

test=> create table "TTT" ("III" int);

CREATE
test=> insert into "TTT" values(100);

INSERT 143849 1
test=> select * from "TTT";
III
---
100
(1 row)

test=>
[srapc451.sra.co.jp]t-ishii{274} pg_dump test
CREATE TABLE ""TTT"" (""III"" int4);
COPY "TTT" FROM stdin;
100
\.