Re: [INTERFACES] DBF2PG

From: Brook Milligan <brook(at)trillium(dot)NMSU(dot)Edu>
To: voss(at)vocalweb(dot)de
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] DBF2PG
Date: 1998-08-07 18:29:12
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

I looked for dbf2pg, is the dbf2sql usable for PG?

Here is part of the README:

dbf2sql v2.2

OVERVIEW:

>From this source you can build programs to convert xBase-style .dbf-files
to an mSQL or an Postgres95 table. Which one is the target is selected
on compile-time. The resulting binaries will have different names (dbf2msql
and dbf2pg resp.). Note that there are some limitations to these programs:
they do not support memo-fields, logical fields (type 'L' in dBase) are
converted to 'char(1)' (for mSQL, for Postgres95 this is 'char'), date-fields
are written as char(8) (or whatever length dBase gives these files).

It is referenced in the Database-Howto a zillion times ( :-) ) on the
net, but it isn't on the PostgreSQL server anywhere.

I don't know, if it is maintained, but I think, it doesn't need that
much maintainance, dbf i quite stable and PostgreSQL sql syntax is
too. It can be labled as third party and therefore not supported.

True enough, but there are aspects that are not supported (see
above). I guess I was wondering about whether or not these were being
addressed.

Cheers,
Brook