6.1 pg_dump core dump

From: bower(at)image(dot)Kodak(dot)COM (J Christopher Bower)
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: bower(at)kodak(dot)com, green(at)kodak(dot)com
Subject: 6.1 pg_dump core dump
Date: 1998-07-27 15:31:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I have posted to the general news group but need a more definitive response.

I am running Postgresql 6.1 on SunOS 5.5.1. We are presently looking into
upgrading to Postgresql 6.3.2, but are having a problem with pg_dump core
dumping. It looks like the output is OK, but I would like to know for sure.

I read that pg_dump 6.2 should be able to dump a 6.1 database but can not
locate the 6.2 source to try it.

I have tried dumping my database with the pg_dumpall provided from the 6.3.2
tar file,but this also core dumps.

I have tried dumping the 6.1 database with 6.3.2 pg_dump, but get a user
authentication error.

I decided to debug the 6.1 pg_dump source and determined that the core dump
occured dumping tblinfo cleanup. Specifically when structures allocated for
sequence tables are being cleaned up. I made the following changes in the
getTables function.

for (i=0;i<ntups;i++) {
tblinfo[i].oid = strdup(PQgetvalue(res,i,i_oid));
tblinfo[i].relname = strdup(PQgetvalue(res,i,i_relname));
tblinfo[i].relarch = strdup(PQgetvalue(res,i,i_relarch));
tblinfo[i].relacl = strdup(PQgetvalue(res,i,i_relacl));
tblinfo[i].sequence = (strcmp (PQgetvalue(res,i,i_relkind), "S") == 0);

/* Local fix - needs to be initialized to zero for sequence tables.
*/

tblinfo[i].numatts = 0;
tblinfo[i].attlen = 0;
tblinfo[i].attlen = NULL;
tblinfo[i].inhAttrs = NULL;
tblinfo[i].attnames = NULL;
tblinfo[i].typnames = NULL;

}

I would like to know if my changes are appropriate, and how can I get the
correct patch if one is available. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks
in advance.

Chris Bower
Software Engineer
Eastman Kodak