CIDR type

From: Brandon Ibach <bibach(at)infomansol(dot)com>
To: hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org (PostgreSQL Hackers)
Subject: CIDR type
Date: 1998-07-24 05:38:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers
   Just thought I'd chip in my two cents on all of this.  Pardon me if
I'm not totally coherent... I've only had a few hours of sleep in the
last few days.
   It seems to me that the best solution is a unified CIDR type (using
the proper terminology) which can represent hosts, networks, and/or
netmasks in a variety of address families, notably IPv4 and IPv6.
Perhaps I don't fully understand what capabilities we have with
atttypmod, but could we use it to "subtype" the CIDR type?  Then
various operations, including input/output, queries, and indexing,
could act accordingly.

-Brandon :)

pgsql-hackers by date

Next:From: Paul A VixieDate: 1998-07-24 07:30:23