Re: [HACKERS] cidr

From: Paul A Vixie <vixie(at)vix(dot)com>
To: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih+mail(at)hamartun(dot)priv(dot)no>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] cidr
Date: 1998-07-20 21:45:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> > i didn't realize that anybody else was working on an IP address
> > data type or i'd've posted this six months ago when i first wrote
> > it.  it lacks only the stuff needed to make it usable as a UNIQUE
> > KEY.  it depends on BIND-8's libraries.
>
> Interesting -- looks nice at first glance, and does some things that
> neither Aleksei nor I had thought of.  I guess a merge of the three
> variations is in order.  At least I'll be doing that locally, and will
> make the result available.

i would be happy if given a chance to consult with whomever wants to do
the work of merging the various ipaddr proposals, and would even do some
work if appropriate.  i would like an indexable "cidr" data type (you
ought not call it an ipaddr, it can be either a net or a host, and the
net is variable sized, so it really is a "cidr") to become part of the
standard postgres system.  but i mostly want to use it in apps, and i
mostly wanted to learn how to extend postgres -- i have no undying love
for the implementation i posted here, nor do i know the process for making
this a standard data type.  so, i will help if someone else is driving.