Change attribute type

From: Petter Reinholdtsen <pere(at)hungry(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Change attribute type
Date: 1998-07-16 15:57:06
Lists: pgsql-sql

How do I change an attributes type, or how do I remove an attribute
from a table.

I have a table created with this command:

create table test(data int4, changed timestamp);

I want to have this table instead:

create table test(data int4, changed datetime);

I have lots of entries in the table, and want too keep them when I
change the date type.

The simple method would be to change the type. Is it possible?

The hard method requires the possibility of removing an attribute.

1 change name of the attribute
'alter table test rename column changed to changedold;'
2 create new attribute
'alter table test add changed datetime;'
3 insert old data in new attribute
'update test set changed = changedold;'
4 remove the old attribute
?

Any clues?

BTW: As I don't follow this mailing-list, could you please send me a
copy when replying?
--
##> Petter Reinholdtsen <## | pere(at)td(dot)org(dot)uit(dot)no
O- <SCRIPT Language="Javascript">window.close()</SCRIPT>