Re: Recent updates

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: lockhart(at)alumnus(dot)caltech(dot)edu (Thomas G(dot) Lockhart)
Cc: lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Recent updates
Date: 1998-07-14 17:01:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> > > Any ideas?
> > I knew there was a reason I did not support NULL in union.  :-)
>
> Yeah, it's sticky. Where in the code does the sorting get set up?
>
>                            - Tom

See optimizer/prep/prepunion.c::plan_union_queries().  You will see me
calling transformSortClause() from there to set up a query using
UNION/UNION ALL.  I think that is where the problem is happening.
Whatever you did in the parser to get these types converted is not in
that function.  Can you check into it?  Should I be doing that in
another place.  I am unsure, but it looks like the best place for it.

I think the major problem is the way I am re-ordering the UNION sort to
handle the placement of UNION and UNION ALL.  I think I need some more
code, or perhaps grab some structure you are already populating in the
parser in this place.

When I required all the types to be the same, it didn't matter how I
re-ordered things.