Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL Backend as SW Gateway to Oracle

From: "Dr(dot) Michael Meskes" <meskes(at)online-club(dot)de>
To: Armin Schloesser <armin(at)ap-kas(dot)ie(dot)philips(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hacker <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL Backend as SW Gateway to Oracle
Date: 1998-07-09 09:42:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jul 09, 1998 at 08:13:48AM +0200, Armin Schloesser wrote:
> Now the problem for me is how to get used to the backend architecture as
> fast as possible. That means is there any more deeper technical doku
> available, describing the backend control flow and architekture.
> Especially the layout of list and nodes structure of the parser.

Do you want to implement a special solution for your problem, or add a table
type that is a link to a different table. With ODBC you can do this in M$
Access for instance.

IMO a link to a different databse would be a very nice feature to have. We
could add the code to link an external postgres database as well.

> Cause using the Oracle OCI there has to be some preprocessing done to
> parse the libpq SQL strings for binding input and output variables to. So
> a simple SELECT call is not mappable to a single OCI call.

Yes, there should a an adapter for each different DB system.

> If there are also other guys outside interested in this approach, it would
> be perhaps worth to discuss also their requirements to get a proper
> functional spec to implement the SW gateway.

Interested yes. But I'm afraid I have neither time to work on it, nor enough
inside knowledge. But then I'm working to get more knowledge anyway.

Michael

--
Dr. Michael Meskes		meskes(at)online-club(dot)de, meskes(at)debian(dot)org
Go SF49ers! Go Rhein Fire!	Use Debian GNU/Linux!