Re: [HACKERS] Revised proposal for libpq and FE/BE protocol changes

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us (Tom Lane)
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Revised proposal for libpq and FE/BE protocol changes
Date: 1998-07-06 01:35:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

> Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> writes:
> > Tom, just wondering were we are with this. Can you update libpq.3?
>
> Will do. I've been busy with other stuff and have not had time to spend
> on pgsql, but will try to push it up the priority list.
>
> > Are the sgml sources updated with the protocol changes?
>
> Yes, those are done. I had been hoping not to have to update libpq.3
> manually, that's all...
>
> > Also, are these items completed? How about our cancel query key? I
> > think it is random/secure enough for our purposes. Can you make the
> > changes, or do you need changes from me?
>
> I haven't looked to see what's been done there --- have you finished an
> initial implementation, or is the cancel-via-postmaster-instead-of-OOB
> change still just at the talk stage? I can handle the libpq end of it,
> but feel less secure about modifying the postmaster.

Perhaps you can work up a patch, and I can review it, or give ideas on
how to proceed. The actual protocol layers in the postmaster,
especially for authentication, are very hard for me to understand.

--
Bruce Momjian | 830 Blythe Avenue
maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us | Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026