Re: [ADMIN] Still having trouble compiling Postgresql

From: Andrew Martin <martin(at)biochemistry(dot)ucl(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: johnbr(at)vossnet(dot)co(dot)uk (John Bright)
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Still having trouble compiling Postgresql
Date: 1998-07-02 15:07:33
Lists: pgsql-admin

> This builds the libraries libreadline.a and libhistory.a in the
> readline-2.2 directory under /tmp. make install is then meant
> to copy these files to the correct part of the directory tree to make
> them useable under Linux. However, when I checked /usr/lib,
> it had copied the latest libreadline.a to /usr/lib/libreadline.old
> and the libhistory.a file had not been copied at all.
> I also assume it should be copying the header files for the
> readline library into /usr/include, so that Postgres will then
> pick up the latest versions of the GNU readline library.
> So, from where I'm sitting it does kinda look as if the problem
> is not really with Postgres, but with Postgres being given the
> right libraries and headers for the GNU readline library.
> Does this sound plausible ?
Seems plausible if unlikely... I assume you did this as root...

> Would you or any of your colleagues know about this, and know
> whether it is safe for me to do the following :-
> cd /usr/include
> cp /tmp/readline-2.2/*.h .
> cd /usr/lib
> cp /tmp/readline-2.2/lib*.a .
> Would this then force the GNU readline library to be up-to-date ?
Should be OK

Don't forget to re-run PostgreSQL configure once you've got this
stuff in place

Andrew

,.
Dr. Andrew C.R. Martin University College London
EMAIL: (Work) martin(at)biochem(dot)ucl(dot)ac(dot)uk (Home) andrew(at)stagleys(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk
Tel: (Work) +44(0)171 419 3890 (Home) +44(0)1372 275775