Re: [HACKERS] now 6.4

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org (The Hermit Hacker)
Cc: vadim(at)krs(dot)ru, dg(at)illustra(dot)com, miker(at)hub(dot)org, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] now 6.4
Date: 1998-06-29 23:42:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> 	Now, I liked the idea that was presented about moving the
> database directories out of the way and then moving them back in after an
> initdb...is this not doable?  What caveats are there to doing this?
> Individual database's will be missing fields added in the release upgrade,
> so if you want some of the v6.4 new features, you'd have to dump the
> individual database and then reload it, but if you don't care, you'd have
> some optimizations associated with the new release?

We will move the old data files out of the way, run initdb, reload a
pg_dump with schema-only, then move the data files back into the proper
locations, and perhaps drop/recreate all indexes.  They will have all
the features.  They have just kept their raw data files.

How long does re-indexing the tables take vs. reloading and re-indexing?