Re: [ADMIN] SYSVSEM?

From: Gabor <gabor(at)vmunix(dot)com>
To: Harri Varpanen <hvarpane(at)abo(dot)fi>, pgsql-admin(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] SYSVSEM?
Date: 1998-06-08 12:26:10
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Mon, Jun 08, 1998 at 12:19:04PM +0300, Harri Varpanen wrote:
# Hi,
#
# I'd like to begin experimenting with databases so I installed the
# FreeBSD port for postgreSQL 6.3.2. The installation went well but I don't
# seem to get anything done; this is what I get:
#
# --
#
# $ createuser (or any command whatsoever)
#
# Connection to database 'template1' failed.
#
# PQexec() -- Request was sent to backend, but backend closed the channel
# before responding. This probably means the backend terminated abnormally
# before or while processing the request.
#
# createuser: database access failed.
#
# --
#
# And, the kernel gives:
#
# /kernel: cmd postgres pid 13794 tried to use non-present SYSVSEM
# /kernel: pid 13794 (postgres), uid 70: exited on signal 12 (core dumped)
#
# --
#
# What to fix? The port seems to do things a bit different compared to the
# instructions on the pgsql web pages, should I try without the port?

go into your /sys/i386/conf dir
open your config file for the kernel and add these lines
options SYSVSHM
options SYSVSEM
options SYSVMSG
then run config, compile, install and reboot

gabor.
--
Interestingly enough, since subroutine declarations can come
anywhere, you wouldn't have to put BEGIN {} at the beginning, nor