Re: [HACKERS] keeping track of connections

From: "Ulrich Voss" <voss(at)vocalweb(dot)de>
To: Brett McCormick <brett(at)work(dot)chicken(dot)org>
Cc: maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us, pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] keeping track of connections
Date: 1998-06-04 12:57:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Hi,

> On Wed, 3 June 1998, at 16:38:43, Ulrich Voss wrote:
>
> > Massimo had a patch, which added the pid in the first field of the
> > debug output (and I guess a timestamp). So you can easily
> > sort/grep/trace the debug output.
>
> I'm looking for a little more than that.

OK, but step  one is simple, Massimo's patch could possibly be
integrated in two or three hours. And it adds valuable debugging
info.

(Btw., Massimo's patch was the first (and I hope last) very helpful
patch, which for obscure reasons never made into the official
distribution. And it had this simple pid/time patch (not in current
cvs), it had a spinlock patch (not in current cvs), a better deadlock
detection (than 6.2.1, not 6.3) and an async listen option (also the
6.4. version will be much better I gues). That's why we still use
6.2.1p6 + massimo patch).

> > Perhaps this would help and should be really easy.
> >
> > BTW., I think this feature is so neat, it should be integrated even
> > if it doesn't solve *your* problem ;-)
>
> There isn't much of a problem, I just would love to have the feature I
> mentioned.  What are you referring to, the above?

Yeah, fine. Monitoring the backend is wonderful, but the
pid/timestamp addition is simple and useful too.

Thanks again for a great product!

Ulrich

Ulrich Voss                            \ \   / /__  / ___|__ _| |
VoCal web publishing                    \ \ / / _ \| |   / _` | |
voss(at)vocalweb(dot)de                         \ V / (_) | |__| (_| | |
http://www.vocalweb.de                    \_/ \___/ \____\__,_|_|
Tel: (++49) 203-306-1560                           web publishing