Re: [HACKERS] keeping track of connections

From: "Ulrich Voss" <voss(at)vocalweb(dot)de>
To: Brett McCormick <brett(at)work(dot)chicken(dot)org>
Cc: maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us, pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] keeping track of connections
Date: 1998-06-03 16:38:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Hi,

> On Wed, 3 June 1998, at 01:05:17, David Gould wrote:
>
> > I am curious, what is it you are trying to accomplish with this? Are you
> > trying to build a persistant log that you can query later for billing
> > or load management/capacity planning information? Are you trying to monitor
> > login attempts for security auditing? Are you trying to catch logins in
> > real time for some sort of middleware integration?
>
> The problem is that when I do a process listing for the postgres user,
> I see many backends.  There's no (convenient) way to see what those
> backends are doing, what db they're connected to or the remote
> host/postgres user.
>
> My required functionality is this: a list of all backends and
> connection details.  IP, queries issued, listens/notifications
> requested/served, bytes transfered, postgres user, db, current query,
> client version, etcetcetc.

Perhaps a wild guess ...

Massimo had a patch, which added the pid in the first field of the
debug output (and I guess a timestamp). So you can easily
sort/grep/trace the debug output.

Perhaps this would help and should be really easy.

BTW., I think this feature is so neat, it should be integrated even
if it doesn't solve *your* problem ;-)

Ciao

Ulrich

Ulrich Voss                            \ \   / /__  / ___|__ _| |
VoCal web publishing                    \ \ / / _ \| |   / _` | |
voss(at)vocalweb(dot)de                         \ V / (_) | |__| (_| | |
http://www.vocalweb.de                    \_/ \___/ \____\__,_|_|
Tel: (++49) 203-306-1560                           web publishing