Re: [HACKERS] Off-topic: Communication. (was: Connect string again)

From: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)topsystem(dot)de>
To: tih+mail(at)Hamartun(dot)Priv(dot)NO (Tom Ivar Helbekkmo)
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org (PostgreSQL Hacker)
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Off-topic: Communication. (was: Connect string again)
Date: 1998-05-28 07:58:13
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Tom Ivar Helbekkmo writes:
> Michael,
>
> It's generally not considered good form to move a private conversation
> to a newsgroup or mailing list without mutual consent, but since you
> have chosen to do so, I don't mind commenting briefly. In fact, among

Oh! Please take my apologies. Up to this moment I haven't noticed that your
original mail was send in private and not via the list. I'm really sorry
about this, since I absolutely agree that this behaviour is not good.

> I feel sorry for you if you have an employer so lacking in common
> sense that you're forced to use a Microsoft application for email. It
> is one thing to demand that employees use Microsoft's poor excuse for
> an operating system, but you should at least be allowed to use what
> you want for tasks where it cannot make a difference to anyone but you
> which tool you choose.

I couldn't agree more. But tell that to my boss. :-( But then I'm leaving
this job anyway, so I don't care about it that much anymore.

> These days, it's not always so easy. In many of the fora I follow,
> things are still the way they were. The NetBSD mailing lists, for
> instance, are easy to read -- almost everybody follows conventions.

And almost noone will use M$ I think. :-)

Michael

--
Dr. Michael Meskes, Project-Manager | topsystem Systemhaus GmbH
meskes(at)topsystem(dot)de | Europark A2, Adenauerstr. 20