About oids

From: Philip Bierhoff <flip(at)win(dot)tue(dot)nl>
To: pgsql-general(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: About oids
Date: 1998-05-23 12:22:19
Lists: pgsql-general

I can't find any documentation on this in manuals and FAQ. I store some
files in a database, which I access through JDBC from a Java application.
Now I want to delete some of these entries. Issuing

does only remove the oids from the table, but the file still remains on my
disk (I checked the data/base/ dir and the "xinv" and "xinx" files are
still there.). I did some research and found out that the function
lo_unlink removes the files. However, the parameter of lo_unlink is an int4,
and not an oid. There is no function to convert oid to int4.

So, can someone tell me how I should implement a (non working) query like

 SELECT lo_unlink(f) FROM files WHERE title = 'test.txt'

Thanks in advance

pgsql-general by date