Re: [INTERFACES] Re: PostgreSQL ODBC

From: "Julia A(dot)Case" <julie(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Byron Nikolaidis <byronn(at)insightdist(dot)com>, Karl Bolingbroke <karl(dot)bolingbroke(at)flyingj(dot)com>, "pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Re: PostgreSQL ODBC
Date: 1998-04-22 10:04:31
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Quoting Byron Nikolaidis (byronn(at)insightdist(dot)com):
> I am working, on my own time, on a port of the new odbc driver to 16 bit. But
> this might take some time. I am currently just trying to get the driver to
> compile and link. Once that is done, there is the issue of memory usage. The new
> driver uses malloc for data structures and simply returns the pointer as an
> environment, connection, or statement handle. This is fine for win32 but would
> probably break miserably on win16. Malloc() is not supposed to be used at all
> under Win3.1 according to Microsoft. But even the old driver, made quite liberal
> use of malloc() in the 16 bit version. That might explain some crashes!

Bryon,
How can I help witht his development?

> I'm not sure about how I am going to test it since I don't have access to any
> Windows 3.1 machines or applications for that matter.
>
> If anyone has any ideas on testing scenarios, I would love to hear them. Can you
> test a 16 bit driver properly on windows 95? If so, what applications can you
> use?
>
> Or if anyone wants to volunteer to test an experimental 16 bit driver, that might
> help too.

I will be able to test the 16 bit driver.

> Also, there is the matter of the 16 bit install. The new driver needs to create
> some new keys (in the INI files) that the old one didn't. Anybody know anything
> about upgrading the 16 bit install program?

The install issues are going to be fun. I still have the source
for the old install. That could be updated. The ODBC support files will
need to be updated though.

Julie

--
[ Julia Anne Case ] [ Ships are safe inside the harbor, ]
[Programmer at large] [ but is that what ships are really for. ]