Re: AW: [HACKERS] Re: PostgreSQL reference manual

From: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)topsystem(dot)de>
To: dg(at)illustra(dot)com (David Gould)
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org (PostgreSQL Hacker)
Subject: Re: AW: [HACKERS] Re: PostgreSQL reference manual
Date: 1998-03-25 14:45:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers
David Gould writes:
> Consider also not updateing the grammar. The strength of PostgreSQL is that
> functions can be added to work inside the server. These functions can often
> do whatever is being proposed as new syntax.

So you want me to not check the syntax while parsing the embedded SQL code?

> So, instead of cluttering up the grammar with non-standard SQLish stuff
> to handle things like groups, just create an administrative function to
> do this job.
>
> * return create_group('groupname');
> * return add_user_to_group('groupname', 'username');
> * return drop_group('groupname');

But this is not embedded SQL.

> These can be written in C, in SQL, or what ever far more quickly and with
> much less risk of destabilizing the system than the parser can be modified.
> It also avoids making incompatibility with ecpg.

Okay, but I should at least check for ANSI SQL.

Michael

--
Dr. Michael Meskes, Project-Manager    | topsystem Systemhaus GmbH
meskes(at)topsystem(dot)de                    | Europark A2, Adenauerstr. 20