Re: Glibc2 (was Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL - the Linux of Databases...)

From: "Thomas A(dot) Szybist" <szybist(at)boxhill(dot)com>
To: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: plh(at)opim(dot)uconn(dot)edu, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Glibc2 (was Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL - the Linux of Databases...)
Date: 1998-03-04 14:57:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers
In message <34FD57AE(dot)F4C716F2(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, "Thomas G. Lockhart" writes:
> > Thomas> That's good news, but I'm annoyed I haven't been able to get this
> > Thomas> result myself yet. Did you use the redhat beta rpm for postgres, or
> > Thomas> did you do a clean install from sources?
> >
> > clean install from source, that's why I listed the compiler versions and
> > flags. Isn't that what you've been trying to get it to work?
>
> No. I've been developing on RH4.2 (making source builds on that), and trying
> use rpms for RH5.0 built at RedHat to verify the glibc2 performance. May have
> do  a build from source to get to the bottom of things, but I'm hoping not...

> in,
> > I thought about doing some more testing and possibly tracking it down, and
> see
> > whether that was caused by some bugfixes somewhere, but without all the
> > snapshots from perhaps Feb-20 all the way up to the official release, it's
> > bit hard.
>
> Well, have you tried the CVSup static package on RH5.0 yet? Don't know if it
> would work, but if it did it would allow you to get snapshots as you want; in
> fact I'm doing that right now trying to track down a problem introduced somet
> ime
> after 980112 and before 980201. Downloading 980120 right now as I (sort of)
> binary search through the possibilities.
>
>                                               - Tom

Just thought you'd like another data point.  I just installed Cristian's
glibc2-2.0.7 packages.  Like Thomas, I still get:

	postgres=> select '1 min'::timespan;
	?column?
	------------
	@ 60.00 secs
	(1 row)

Without recompiling.  With recompiling, I get:

	postgres=> select '1 min'::timespan;
	?column?
	--------
	@ 1 min
	(1 row)

I'm using gcc 2.7.2.3 -O2.

Tom Szybist
szybist(at)boxhill(dot)com

Next:From: Jan WieckDate: 1998-03-04 15:10:19