Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL - the Linux of Databases...

From: Andrew Martin <martin(at)biochemistry(dot)ucl(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL - the Linux of Databases...
Date: 1998-03-03 14:41:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Thus spake Andrew Martin
> > > up just with a comment like "Linux != Unix"...which, it isn't, its a
> > > Unix-like clone...but they can't seem to figure the distinction *rofl*
> >
> > Agreed... :-)  But BSD isn't Unix either - not officially. [Waits for
> > Marc to disagree, again...]
>
> Of course it is.  It has direct lineage back the Bell Labs.  There is
> no AT&T code left in but you can most definitely say "BSD Unix" where
> you can't say "Linux Unix."  For many years Berkeley was the main
> development hotbed for Unix.  In fact, BSD was eventually fed back
> into SVR4.

'fraid it isn't. Unix is a trademark and can only be applied to systems
which the trademark owner approves. Just 'cos the code has a certain
heritage doesn't mean that the current version is approved. There is
a FAQ somewhere which discusses all the issues - I forget the details.

> > Not to mention the fact that at least one release of Linux did go through
> > full Posix certification and is thus allowed to be called Unix :-)
>
> Posix != Unix.  NT is a Posix system.  So is OpenVMS.
True - I was over zealous there. However the release was given approval for
the Unix label to be applied.

> BTW, which version of Linux was Posix certified and who paid for it?
It was Linux-FT - I believe the company producing it is now defunct :-(

Andrew
Dr. Andrew C.R. Martin                             University College London
EMAIL: (Work) martin(at)biochem(dot)ucl(dot)ac(dot)uk    (Home) andrew(at)stagleys(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk
Tel:   (Work) +44(0)171 419 3890                    (Home) +44(0)1372 275775

Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Lost a function overloading capability in v6.3
Previous:From: t-ishiiDate: 1998-03-03 14:41:56
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Current 6.3 issues