very minor CFLAGS/COPT request

From: Michael <csf(at)moscow(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: very minor CFLAGS/COPT request
Date: 1998-03-01 15:16:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

In building the March 1 snapshot on linux 2.0.31 / glibc 2.0.7-pre1 /
egcs 1.01, after configuring I blindly typed
	make CFLAGS="-O9" >& make.log &
and the -I declarations from were omitted and
the build failed.  After reading, I tried
	make COPT="-O9" >& make.log &
which resulted in both the -O2 from the template and the -O9
option were used in the build.  No errors were produced.

It appears that if I wanted to build pgsql with different
optimization levels, the easiest solution would be to remove
the -O2 from the linux template and use COPT as above.  Is
there something obvious I've missed?

I'd like to suggest
that this situation be documented in INSTALL, that COPT
override the default optimization option, or that the -I
options be removed from CFLAGS and included by other means,
to guard against "sophisticated but oblivious" installers like me.