Re: [HACKERS] Who is everyone?

From: Brett McCormick <brett(at)work(dot)chicken(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org (PostgreSQL-development)
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Who is everyone?
Date: 1998-02-20 05:26:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I've just joined and haven't yet done much development, but I hope to
soon! I'm 19 and I work as a programmer and system administrator at
the Speakeasy Cafe (internet cafe) in Seattle. I developed our
accounting system for keeping track of our members (we're an ISP,
essentially), which uses PostgreSQL. As an aside, I just upgraded to
6.2.1 but we had to revert to 1.09 (which has been very stable for
months) due to backend core dumping problems. I didn't report them
because 6.3 was being worked on, but at the same time, my boss doesn't
think it is a good idea to go to 6.3beta for our production system,
especially since we can't compile it on our Alpha (waste of hardware,
yada yada). This is all totally irrelevant to who I am, but I figured
you guys would appreciate knowing all the same.

And I'm a high school dropout who's been using computers since 1st
grade. I'm currently going to community college with plans of
attending a university at some point (which is where cool things like
postgresql get developed). I hope to become actively involved in the
free software community and refine my programming skills.

And, I must say, you guys rock. You've done a great amount of
wonderful work on PostgreSQL, and you deserve recognition (and a whole
lot more).