Re: [HACKERS] postmaster crash and .s.pgsql file

From: Andrew Martin <martin(at)biochemistry(dot)ucl(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] postmaster crash and .s.pgsql file
Date: 1998-01-29 20:19:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > > $PGDATA is created 700...general users need to be able to read the
> > > directory in order to connect to the socket, so we'd have to lax up
> > > security in order to accomplish this...
> > >
> > OK, no problem, a subdirectory of $PGDATA which has world read permission
>
> You'd have to relax the 700 permissions on $PGDATA to get at
> anything under that directory, even if the subdirectory under it had 777
> access to it...
Duh... Wasn't thinking straight - it's been a bad week :-)
Your right, you'd have to allow read access to the directory but not
execute.

> And, it also makes the assumption that you'll only ever have 1
> postmaster process running on a machine, or else you are now having to set
> the PGDATA environment variable depending on which database you want to
> connect to...:(
Agreed, I was really just making the point that I didn't want anything
to be written to the root directory of the pgsql installation...

Andrew

Dr. Andrew C.R. Martin University College London
EMAIL: (Work) martin(at)biochem(dot)ucl(dot)ac(dot)uk (Home) andrew(at)stagleys(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk
Tel: (Work) +44(0)171 419 3890 (Home) +44(0)1372 275775