Re: [HACKERS] Re: [QUESTIONS] How is PostgreSQL doing?

From: Andrew Martin <martin(at)biochemistry(dot)ucl(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: [QUESTIONS] How is PostgreSQL doing?
Date: 1998-01-27 16:13:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > > I found this patch in my mailbox. Is there any intestest in this, or is
> > > it too site-specific?

So someone wasted their time writing this patch, 'cos the facility wasn't
documented properly ?????

> > Yes please! I'd like to see this...
>
> I think it may already be there, but with no documentation in
> pg_hba.conf:
>
> See backend/libpq/hba.c:
>
> Special case: For usermap "sameuser", don't look in the usermap
> file. That's an implied map where "pguser" must be identical to
> "ident_username" in order to be authorized.
The terminology isn't exactly clear :-)

I hope this gets documented properly and comprehensibly!!!! I can't same
I'm any wiser from reading that as to what one needs to do (though I guess
I might be if I read it in conjunction with the hba instructions).

<RANT ON>
Might I ask again that people send patches in for the documentation WHENEVER
they add a new feature!

There is no point in adding new and wonderful things if users don't know
they exist!!!!! When someone ends up duplicating functionality 'cos they
don't know that a feature exists, that's even worse........
<RANT OFF>

Andrew

Dr. Andrew C.R. Martin University College London
EMAIL: (Work) martin(at)biochem(dot)ucl(dot)ac(dot)uk (Home) andrew(at)stagleys(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk
Tel: (Work) +44(0)171 419 3890 (Home) +44(0)1372 275775