Re: [HACKERS] fork/exec for backend

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: goran(at)bildbasen(dot)se (Goran Thyni)
Cc: tom(at)sdf(dot)com, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] fork/exec for backend
Date: 1998-01-25 15:44:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > This would also prevent us from attaching to shared memory because it
> > would already be in the address space.
>
> With no exec we could use mmap instead of shm*.
> Have to clock them to see which one is faster first.
> I think the mmap API is cleaner.

Yes, we really only need memory that is not going to be copy-on-write
when you fork.  Both types would do this, but since it would already be
in the address space, there is no speed to measure.  The postmaster is
the only one to do the actual operation.

--
Bruce Momjian
maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us