Re: ecpg & 8.3 -> 8.4 migration

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bosco Rama <postgres(at)boscorama(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ecpg & 8.3 -> 8.4 migration
Date: 2009-11-21 00:02:11
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-interfaces
Bosco Rama <postgres(at)boscorama(dot)com> writes:
> According to the PG docs 'server' is a *non-reserved*
> keyword.  Does ecpg treat it as a reserved word?

Upon poking around in the ecpg sources, I discover that it has its own
list of "unreserved" keywords and pays no attention whatsoever to the
core grammar's unreserved_keyword list.  I can hardly find words to
express my dissatisfaction with that.  The unreserved_keyword list might
not be the single most-likely-to-change production in the core grammar,
but it's got to be right up there in the top two or three.  This little
shortcut means that all the work done last year to generate the ecpg
grammar from core was practically useless --- we still have to worry
about manually maintaining the ecpg grammar any time we change core.

This has *got* to be fixed.  The lack of obvious feedback about keywords
not included in any keyword list means that manual maintenance is
guaranteed to fail, as indeed it's already done, per this report.