Re: NOTICE: can't shrink relation

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: mel(at)gmanmi(dot)tv
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: NOTICE: can't shrink relation
Date: 2002-12-12 16:58:31
Lists: pgsql-novice

"Mel Jamero" <mel(at)gmanmi(dot)tv> writes:
> could anyone please give a brief explanation of these notices.. thanks.

> NOTICE: Rel pg_type: TID 26/9: InsertTransactionInProgress 18854950 - can't
> shrink relation

That's just VACUUM being conservative --- it doesn't want to risk moving
tuples when there are open transactions affecting the table. (In this
case I'd guess that you had an uncommitted transaction that created a
table. The rows describing its columns have been added to pg_attribute,
but not committed yet.)