Re: possible new option for wal_sync_method

From: Dan Scales <scales(at)vmware(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: possible new option for wal_sync_method
Date: 2012-03-02 22:28:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

> Got any result so far?

I measured the results with barrier=0, and yes, you are correct -- it seems that most of the benefit of the open_direct wal_sync_method is probably from not doing the barrier operation at the end of fsync():

wal_sync_method
fdatasync open_direct open_sync
no archive, barrier=1: 17309 18507 17138
no archive, barrier=0: 17771 18369 18045

archive, barrier=1 : 15789 16592 15645
archive, barrier=0 : 16616 16785 16547

It took me a while to look through Linux, and understand why barrier=1 had such an effect, even for disks with battery-backed caches. As you
pointed out, the barrier operation not only flushes the disk cache, but also has some queue implications, particularly for Linux releases below
2.6.37. I've been using 2.6.32, and in that case, the barrier at the end of fsync requires that all previously-queued operations be finished before the barrier occurs and flushes the disk cache. This means that each fsync of the WAL log is likely waiting for completely unrelated in-flight operations of the data files. That is why getting rid of the fsync of the WAL log has such a good performance win, even for disks that don't have a disk cache flush (because the cache is battery backed). This option will probably have less benefit for Linux 2.6.37 and above, where
barriers are eliminated, and operations are written more specifically in terms of disk cache flushes.

fsync() on ext3 (even for Linux 2.6.37 and above) does still wait for any outstanding meta-data transaction to commit. So, there is still another
reason to put the WAL log and data files on different logical disks (even if backed by the same physical disk).

It does still seem to me the sync_file_range() is unsafe in the case of non-battery backed disk write caches, since it doesn't sync the disk
cache. However, if sync_file_range() was being used to optimize checkpoint fsyncs, then one final fsync() to an unused file on the same block
device would do the trick of flushing the disk cache.

Dan