Re: techdocs/v2 and Bricolage

From: "Steve Simms" <steve(at)deefs(dot)net>
To: "Robert Treat" <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Subject: Re: techdocs/v2 and Bricolage
Date: 2004-01-17 14:55:27
Lists: pgsql-www

Robert Treat said:
> On Friday 16 January 2004 17:16, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> > Dave,

The site seems a little slow to me -- it took five seconds to bring up the
home page, compared to two for the postgresql.org home page. Not terrible,
but noticeable.

>> > OK. Do we want to give it a try? I would eliminate one item I've been
>> > procrastinating on for some time, and I'd be happy to relieve Robert of
>> > any Techdocs maint based on Plone.

The structured text aspect of plone seems to be a bit iffy to me. In
particular, it looks like there's a *lot* of indenting involved based on their
description of it (http://plone.org/documentation/book/10).

Other concerns:

- Inline preformatted text is done with apostrophes. This seems prone to
accidents, particularly if you try to use SQL inline.

- It *looks* like you can only do preformatted text if the preceding paragraph
ends in a colon (which needs to be doubled).

- It replaces HTML with another formatting language. It attempts to be
simpler, but I'm not sure if it succeeds.

A good test would be to take an article that has a fair number of SQL examples
in it, and port it to plone's format. If this were done by someone who's
already written articles (and might do so again) -- I'm thinking of Josh, that
would be particularly helpful.

>> 'k, is this replacing techdocs, or just part of techdocs?
>
> If we're going to do it, we need to replace the whole thing IMO.

I agree. We don't need to add another method of storage/delivery if we can
avoid it.

As of last night, I have Bricolage installed on a server, and am now
attempting to figure out how to use it (not very obvious). As far as I can
tell, it publishes plain HTML to any number of servers, without needing
anything special running on the destination web server, so it'll be hard to
beat that for speed. It also allows for writing, editing, approving and
publishing as separate steps (the last two might be combined).

From a content writer's perspective, it looks pretty simple. I'm guessing
that the initial setup is going to be the worst part of it.

That's about all I can tell you at the moment, however. I'm not sure how
formatting works, or internationalization.

Should I keep looking at this, or move to plone instead?

Steve Simms
Database Developer & Administrator
Medical Media Systems, Inc.