Re: proposal - urlencode, urldecode support

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)seespotcode(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal - urlencode, urldecode support
Date: 2012-04-25 18:41:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> 2012/4/25 Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)seespotcode(dot)net>:
>> Sounds like a great idea for a PGXN module.

> it is one variant - but with support some web technologies - XML,
> JSON, I prefer this in core. Urlcode is one the most used code on
> world now -  implementation is simple - and it can be well integrated
> with decode, encode functions.

Embedding that in encode/decode sounds to me like a pretty horrid idea,
actually, unless I misunderstand what you are talking about.  URL
encoding is a text-to-text transformation, no?  If so, it doesn't fit
into encode/decode, which presume a binary (bytea) decoded form.  People
would be needing to do entirely bogus text/bytea coercions to use
such an implementation.

Ergo, this needs to be a separate function, and so the argument for
putting it in core seems a bit weak to me.  The net field demand for
the feature, so far, has been zero.