Re: Welcome to the pgsql-bugs list!

From: Christine Penner <christine(at)ingenioussoftware(dot)com>
To: Postgres-General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Welcome to the pgsql-bugs list!
Date: 2009-04-28 19:59:00
Lists: pgsql-general

After looking closer at the log file I found something interesting:

2009-04-27 17:38:38 PDT ERROR: column "f_township" of relation
"fire_report" does not exist at character 3584. Almost every insert
got an error about a duplicate primary key. That shouldn't happen
because all these records were in a Postgres database without any duplicates.

This backup included the table creating aswell. How can it not have a
column in the table. Am I wrong to assume that when I restore over an
existing database it will delete things first? It looks like it doesn't.

I'm going to guess that's the problem. I know we have had at least
one crash loading an empty database but I will have to look at that
when it happens again.

How are backups and restore's usually done? I'm guessing not through
pgAdmin. Also is there away to tell it to drop a table before it
tries to create it?

Christine