Re: Regarding TODO item "%Add a separate TRUNCATE permission"

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Gevik Babakhani <pgdev(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Regarding TODO item "%Add a separate TRUNCATE permission"
Date: 2006-04-26 17:54:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> we need
> to redesign the permission system to allow for more permission bits
> because otherwise we'll run out soon.

Only if we keep inventing separate privileges for things as specific
as TRUNCATE. I was just about to raise this point as a possible reason
why not to invent a separate TRUNCATE bit. (There are other problems,
eg both 't' and 'T' letters are already taken.)

The question that really ought to be answered before doing any of this
is why DELETE privilege shouldn't be sufficient to allow TRUNCATE.

In any case, I don't feel it necessary to panic about running out of
permission bits when the space is only 75% used... with a little care
it'll last us a long time yet, and I'm not eager to pay any performance
price whatsoever just so we can invent the Joe Hacker Memorial Privilege
Bit.