Re: postmaster.pid

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>,"Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>,pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postmaster.pid
Date: 2004-08-25 13:58:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
"Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net> writes:
> But sure, we don't really care if it's a postmaster. Then OpenProcess()
> is probably the best way, yes.

Au contraire!!  One of the problems with the Unix implementation is that
you *can't* tell for sure if the target process is a postmaster.  See
past discussions about how startup occasionally fails because we get
fooled by the PID mentioned in postmaster.pid now belonging to pg_ctl or
some other Postgres-owned process.

This is a place where the Windows version can actually be better than
the Unix one.  Please fix it and stop imagining that your charter is to
duplicate a particular Unix syscall bug-for-bug.